A new student scholarship dedicated to the memory of Dayna Brons has been created by the Saskatchewan Lions Club and the Saskatchewan Athletic Therapists Association in conjunction with the HumboldtStrong Community Foundation. The Saskatchewan Lions Club Dayna Brons Entrance Scholarship is designed for those entering into Dayna’s chosen field, athletic therapy.
Dayna Brons passed away following the Humboldt Broncos bus tragedy on April 6, 2018.
Brons was the Humboldt Broncos’ athletic therapist, a position which she relished and to which she gave her all. She pursued athletic therapy in a combined program with the University of Regina and Calgary’s Mount Royal University.
A release from the Saskatchewan Athletic Therapy Association recognizes Brons’ determination, patience, optimism and passion, noting “Dayna was very active in the community and selflessly volunteered her time to many different causes.”
The award will go annually to a Saskatchewan student in grade 12 who is accepted into or has applied to an athletic therapy or related program. The student will demonstrate community engagement through volunteerism and will have shown initiative in gaining kinesiology and therapy experiences or knowledge. The deadline for this year’s application is June 1.
The scholarship is expected to disburse $500 this year with increasing amounts in subsequent years as the Lions Club donation gathers interest.
To find out more or apply, head to saskathletictherapy.ca.
The award is the latest in a host of memorial awards being distributed in Dayna’s name. These include:
- Lake Lenore Memorial Bursary – Gr 12 Student of Lake Lenore School (preference to student planning to enter Athletic Therapy) - $1000 annually
- Mount Royal Memorial Scholarship – 2nd , 3rd or 4th Year student in Health & Physical Education – Athletic Therapy program. - $1400 (adjusted annually)
- Canadian Athletic Therapy Association Dayna Brons Memorial Fund – Newly certified Athletic Therapist - $500
- University of Regina Dayna Brons Memorial Bursary – U of R undergraduate enrolled in Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies (preference given to student planning to enter Athletic Therapy) - $1000 annually
- Saskatchewan Rider’s Dayna Brons Memorial Scholarship – Student Athletic Therapist assisting the Rider Training Camp - $2000 annually
- Hockey Gives Blood – Dayna Brons Honorary Award – Hockey Gives Blood Player Ambassador –1st Award winner - $5000 scholarship, 2nd & 3rd - $1500 scholarship each
- Saskatchewan Lions Club Dayna Brons Entrance Scholarship – Gr 12 Student in Saskatchewan entering Athletic Therapy or athletic therapy related program - $800+ annually
Thus far, approximately $22,600 in funds have been distributed including:
- Lake Lenore Memorial Bursary $3000
- Mount Royal Memorial Scholarship ~$3600
- Canadian Athletic Therapy Memorial Fund $500
- University of Regina Memorial Scholarship $3000
- Sask Rider’s Memorial Bursary $4000 (none awarded in 2020 due to Covid but hope to award in 2021
- Hockey Gives Blood Honorary Award $8000
- Sask Lions Club Entrance Scholarship $500