The Saskatchewan Health Authority has issued an advisory for Little Manitou Lake concerning blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) bloom. 

In their alert, the SHA advises residents living near the shores of the lake, as well as visitors to the lake, to take the following precautions. 

Avoid all contact with blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) blooms. If contact occurs, wash with tap water as soon as possible.

Do not swim or wade (or allow your pets to swim or wade) in any areas where blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) is visible.

As always, visitors and residents are reminded to never drink or cook with untreated water directly from any recreational body of water, including Little Manitou Lake, at any time. Boiling of this water will not remove the toxins produced by blue-green algae. 

The algae occurs in calm water bodies especially in shallow areas and in warm weather conditions. Blue-green algae can appear like scum, grass clippings, fuzz or globs on the surface of water. 

People who come in contact with visible blue-green algae or who ingest water containing blue-green algae may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea. Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Symptoms in children are often more pronounced; however, all humans are at risk of these symptoms.

Weather and wind conditions can cause algae blooms to move from one location in the lake to another. As such, this advisory will remain in effect for Little Manitou Lake, until further notice.

if you require further information on health concerns and blue-green algae, please call Health Line at 811.