Humboldt first responders jumped into action on Tuesday evening in response to a carbon monoxide alarm at a Humboldt apartment complex. The City of Humboldt and Humboldt and District Ambulance Service issued a joint statement on the incident and response.
–On Tuesday, January 10, 2023, at approximately 5:00 pm, the Humboldt Fire Department’s Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief were called to an apartment complex in response to carbon monoxide (“CO”) alarms alerting a maintenance staff member. Upon their arrival, they detected high levels of CO throughout the building. Dispatch was then notified, and the remainder of the Fire Department and Humboldt & District Ambulance Service were deployed.
Twenty-five residents were assessed on scene by paramedics, and treated as necessary, with some being transported to the Humboldt District Hospital Complex. The remainder were transported to the Humboldt Uniplex by Humboldt’s Mobility Van and St. Mary’s Villa transportation bus. Reassessments by paramedics were completed at the Uniplex with some patients being rerouted to the hospital. The Bella Vista Inn provided individuals at the Uniplex with food, coffee and water. All residents, including those who were treated and discharged from the hospital, were provided rooms courtesy of the Bella Vista.
Investigation of where the leak originated and its remedy continued throughout the night. Early Wednesday morning, residents were advised that the leak had been successfully identified and isolated and the property was safe to re-enter.
In the statement, the City of Humboldt, Humboldt Fire Department, and Humboldt Ambulance Service extend their utmost gratitude to Judy Plag at the Bella Vista for the food and housing, and to Dave Wanhella, driver of the Mobility Van, and St. Mary’s Villa for providing transportation, and to the medical staff at the Humboldt District Hospital Complex for attending to those in need. This response would not have been as successful without their support.
The Humboldt Fire Department would like to remind residents that on July 1, 2022, in accordance with the Construction Codes Act and Building Code Regulations, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in residential buildings became mandatory.
Mike Kwasnica, Fire Chief of the Humboldt Fire Department said, “Often called the ‘invisible killer’, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels burn incompletely. We want all residents to understand the requirements and importance for CO alarms. In this instance, the alarms in this property saved lives.”
Humboldt residents with questions and/or concerns about smoke or carbon monoxide alarm requirements may contact the Humboldt Fire Department at (306) 682-2525 Ext 324 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also visit NFPA’s Web site at http://www.nfpa.org/CO or humboldt.ca for more information.