With the weather warming up, and snow begins to melt, Humboldt’s Protective Services wanted to help residents reduce the risk of a snowmelt flood.
A couple of tips Humboldt’s Protective Services gave was:
- Remove snow from around the foundation of your house, and pay attention to the areas around window wells.
- Remove snow along the outside edge to allow drainage.
- Keep snow within your yard, shovelling onto streets could block drainage.
- Clear snow and ice around downspouts, it is recommended to extend downspouts at least two meters so water drains away from the foundation.
- Check roof and eavestroughs for excess snow and ice damming.
- Consider using sandbags to block water from entering low-lying areas beside the foundation.
- Make sure the sump pump is functioning properly.
- If water is getting close to the foundation, use an appropriate pump to drain it to the gutter or back lane.