Humboldt area is currently under a severe thunderstorm watch.
"Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall." -Environment Canada
The conditions are currently favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that might produce strong wind gusts, damaging hail, and heavy rain.
Meteorologist Kyle Fougere with Environment and Climate Change Canada said this about the current storm that is in the area.
"There is a part of the storm just west of Humboldt that does look like it is a pretty significate storm, but it is not currently showing severe levels, such as hail greater than 20mm or rain greater than 50mm an hour that's not saying it won't be a strong thunderstorm it is just not quite severe at this time."
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
- R.M. of Big Quill including Wynyard Dafoe and Kandahar
- R.M. of Elfros including Elfros Leslie and Mozart
- R.M. of Emerald including Wishart and Bankend
- R.M. of Foam Lake including Foam Lake and Fishing Lake Res.
- R.M. of Humboldt including Humboldt Carmel and Fulda
- R.M. of Ituna Bon Accord including Ituna and Hubbard
- R.M. of Kellross including Kelliher and Lestock
- R.M. of Kelvington including Yellowquill Res.
- R.M. of Kutawa including Raymore Punnichy and Poorman Res.
- R.M. of Lakeside including Watson and Quill Lake
- R.M. of Lakeview including Wadena and Clair
- R.M. of Last Mountain Valley including Govan and Duval
- R.M. of Leroy including Leroy
- R.M. of Mount Hope including Semans
- R.M. of Ponass Lake including Rose Valley Fosston and Nora
- R.M. of Prairie Rose including Jansen and Esk
- R.M. of Sasman including Margo Kylemore and Nut Mountain
- R.M. of Spalding including Spalding
- R.M. of St Peter including Muenster and Lake Lenore
- R.M. of Touchwood including Serath and Touchwood Hills Prov. Park
- R.M. of Usborne including Lanigan Drake and Guernsey
- R.M. of Wolverine including Burr
- R.M. of Wreford including Nokomis and Venn
"This storm that we have moving through the Humboldt area is more of a line of thunderstorms. We don't typically see tornados development with that. There is quite a bit of lightning that is moving into the area, decent winds, and some really heavy rain, and potentially some small hail, less of looking like a tornado at this time threatening the area." stated Fougere.
Please stay alert to changing weather and take precautions if dangerous weather is spotted.