The winter has been harsh in Saskatchewan, but let's not allow the beauties of spring put a damper on our homes when the seasons change.
When the snow melts, the water must go somewhere, especially evident and known by the residents of Humboldt.
SGI Canada has a few helpful tips to make sure your home is ready for the big thaw.
- Shovel Snow from the foundation
- Extend all rainwater downspouts away from the foundation of your home and ensure eavestroughs and downspouts are not clogged with debris.
- Use a roof rake or hire a professional to clear away excess snow on your roof to prevent ice dams.
- If your home has a sewer backwater valve, make sure it is free from debris or sediment by flushing it with a bucket of hot water.
- Got a sump pump? Make sure it is operational, and that the pipe that takes water to the outside is free from any obstruction
- Check your basement regularly for signs of water.
For more information on what you can do to get your house ready for spring – and what to do if you do suffer a water loss click here